We’ve walked you through the costs involved in making a website, from using a website builder to hiring a professional designer to build it for you. Hopefully you now have a clearer idea of the best method for you, and which one best suits your budget.
Remember that working out how much a website costs isn’t just about money. It’s also about the other resources you have, such as time, tech skills, and design skills. If you have tons of time, you can learn new skills, but if you’re pressed for time and have a large budget, you can delegate the work to a professional.
Thinking about what you want from your site, how much time and money you can realistically put into your site, and how you want to run your site on a day to day basis, will all help you make the most of your money in the long run.
Although every site comes with its own unique set of costs, here’s a recap of our estimates, to help you pick the best option for you.
Here are some tips that we’ve put together, to help you save money further down the line.
- Use a website builder: $6 – $50 per month – cheapest option
- Use WordPress: $35 – $780 upfront cost, $11 – $50 per month ongoing cost – lots of control over how cheap (or expensive) your site ends up being
- Hire a web designer: $500 – $10,000+ – minimal time investment, but most expensive option
Whether you’re counting out every cent or have a huge budget to play with, there is a website building option for you. The most important thing is to get value for your money. Here’s a summary of each method to help you pick the right one for you:
- You have a tight budget
- You’re a first-time builder
- You’re short on time
- You want to have a go at creating a site yourself
- You don’t want to deal with all the technical stuff
- You have a little more wriggle room in your budget
- You want total control over your site
- You have plenty of time
- You want a high level of customization
- You’d enjoy handling all the technical stuff
- You have a large budget
- You don’t want the responsibility of creating a site yourself
- You’re very short on time
- You need a very complex or custom design
- You’d be happy letting a professional manage your site
Building a website doesn’t have to be expensive – as long as you pick the right method and get value for your money, your website will be worth every cent. Happy building!